One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Fat on the body of a baby or child that disappears as it grows up.
- ‘Showing ample signs of the baby fat that made him famous as a toddler, the chocolate boy is still looking for his space in the industry.’
- ‘We both had our baby fat - that's what I think when I look at the early pictures.’
- ‘Also, if your BMI is over 28, it's probably not baby fat.’
- ‘Nearly a fifth of young kids are not losing their baby fat.’
- ‘But could that baby fat translate into obesity later on?’
- ‘To my surprise, I found that my bridegroom still had large pockets of baby fat on his body.’
- ‘Ricci, who has shed her baby fat and developed refined features, is luminous, looking much like a '40s starlet.’
- ‘This young man had no baby fat at all.’
- ‘However, at the age of two, she had already lost much of her baby fat, and was in a fair way to becoming as gaunt as her older siblings.’
- ‘In my early 20s, there was still some baby fat hanging around.’
- ‘Almost all my lovers had had a little bit of baby fat around the middle.’
- ‘He reported to camp 12 pounds lighter and with a lot less of the baby fat he had as a rookie.’
- ‘People lose weight when they grow up; they lose their baby fat.’
- ‘You are losing baby fat and baby teeth and baby ways.’
- ‘This may have been a result of the boys losing some residual "baby fat."’
- ‘He has lost some weight, but a lot of that was just getting rid of baby fat.’
- ‘Unable to shed her baby fat, Gretchen stayed plump as she grew.’
- ‘All the baby fat was gone.’
- ‘Her cheeks were still rosy and round with baby fat.’
- ‘She was still quite slender, and only had traces of baby fat left.’
- 1.1 The extra body fat that a woman may develop during pregnancy.
- ‘She had a 10-week-old baby when we started training; she was nursing the kid and she had all this baby fat, and she just made an incredible recovery.’
- ‘Perhaps she is in possession of a magic spell that whisks away baby fat quicker than you can say "do you think I'm sexy?"’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.