One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The protrusion of a pregnant woman's abdomen, typically when it is first noticeable to other people.
- ‘Safe to say we can expect their walk down the aisle any day now and as far as a baby bump is concerned, it's still not quite clear.’
- ‘Just over half of parents questioned said they started reading books to their children when the child was six months old - while 18 per cent read stories to their baby bump.’
- ‘She married fellow actor Laurence Fox in January and was spotted with a baby bump three months later while on holiday in Mauritius.’
- ‘Constructed from super-soft knit fabric, this snuggly perfect-for-fall top has a gentle pleat at the neck; sash ties just above the baby bump and sleeves are accented with elastic at the wrist for a finished look that is tres hip!’
- ‘Aware, perhaps, of the consternation she would provoke, the new minister had attempted to dress neutrally for the occasion: a tailored black jacket and a white smock-top that artfully disguised her baby bump.’
- ‘She recently showed off her baby bump recently on a visit to a museum in Copenhagen.’
- ‘But on the Strictly Come Dancing special on Christmas Day she showed clear signs of a small baby bump as she hosted the ballroom entertainment show with Bruce Forsyth.’
- ‘Dasha is so petite it's impossible to notice she has a baby bump, even though she is six months gone.’
- ‘This week they're covering Angelina's baby bump and Jennifer Aniston's single-girl sorrow, as well as Nicole Richie, Christina Aguilera and J. Lo's baby offspring.’
- ‘Not to mention the fact that she looked stunning and showed no traces of any baby bump.’
- ‘Even the loose-fitting T-shirt could not hide Billie Piper's growing baby bump, three months into her first pregnancy.’
- ‘With her baby bump just beginning to show, Victoria couldn't be persuaded to actually model her sexy jeans and tiny tees, but did take a victory waltz down the runway alongside at the end of the show.’
- ‘As the actress points out, a baby bump could hardly be hidden behind a string of flapper beads.’
- ‘Some even develop swollen stomachs that look like a "baby bump", according to the largest study of its kind in Britain.’
- ‘Instead, of my sister bothering me about it, which was something I thought she would do, we were helping move Devon and her growing baby bump into the house.’
- ‘She might not realise it yet, but her baby bump is fast becoming a political issue.’
- ‘Now "People" magazine reported that a source told them the wedding was being rushed together over the last couple of weeks so that Foster could get married before the baby bump was showing.’
- ‘The fashion-forward first lady joked in an interview with Oprah Winfrey that she was miffed when she heard the online gossip dishing on her alleged baby bump.’
- ‘Coleen Rooney has shown off her baby bump for the first time during a holiday with her footballer husband Wayne in Barbados.’
- ‘Now, Roberts, 37, who is still executive director of the Southeast Mississippi Chapter of the American Red Cross, is sporting a baby bump.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.