One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A disease of cattle and other livestock, transmitted by the bite of ticks. It affects the red blood cells and causes the passing of red or blackish urine.
- ‘Southern cattle had acquired immunity to bovine babesiosis - the disease transmitted by these ticks.’
- ‘For example, I. scapularis may transmit ehrlichiosis, Lyme disease, and babesiosis.’
- ‘The number of symptoms and duration of illness in patients with concurrent Lyme disease and babesiosis are greater than in patients with either infection alone.’
- ‘Tick-borne diseases in the United States include Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, tularemia, babesiosis, Colorado tick fever, and relapsing fever.’
- ‘Babesiasis is usually transmitted by tick bites although there is some non-tick transmission.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Babesia, from the name Victor Babès (1854–1926), Romanian bacteriologist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.