One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An innocent or naive person, especially one in a difficult or dangerous environment.‘she was no babe in the woods and knew exactly what she was doing’‘he knows how to handle himself in NY, unlike we mere babes in the wood who live here in Seattle’
- ‘I'm not a babe in the woods, and I know very well that saying these things is taboo in American political culture.’
- ‘These individuals may be babes in the woods, but their sincerity and eagerness to please makes them so lovable that people rarely take too much advantage of them.’
- ‘I am a babe in the woods when it comes to this kind of thing, but I am inspired to explore, even if it comes to nothing and I move onto another idea next week.’
- ‘These are not twelve-year-old babes in the woods - 76 percent of them are seventeen or eighteen years old.’
- ‘But we're babes in the woods when it comes to knowing what's going on with our system.’
- ‘Compared to her, I was a babe in the woods.’
- ‘When we start moving to complex systems, such as management of very large information spaces or air traffic control, we are still babes in the woods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.