One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, rich sponge cake, typically soaked in rum-flavoured syrup.‘the cooked babas are hollowed out and filled with confectioners' custard’
- ‘The rich, light, delicate yeast cake, made from flour, eggs, butter, and sugar, is related to brioche, baba, and savarin.’
- ‘An alcohol-soaked rum cake similar to a baba au rhum that sat on a puree of orange with a whipped coconut cream was a decided runner-up.’
- ‘Well, a rum baba and a treacle tart were atypically heavy.’
- ‘Bring soaking liquor to the boil and drop the babas in, rolling them to soak all over and become bloated.’
- ‘Best of all, they have imported Italian rum babas soaking in glass jars.’
Via French from Polish, literally ‘married peasant woman’.
1Father (often as a proper name or as a familiar form of address)‘‘Baba and I have squabbled.’’
- ‘When face-to-face, he would just call him baba (father).’
- ‘Asked who this man was, the child mumbled proudly ‘Amaar baba (my father).’’
- ‘She answered her father fearlessly: ‘Baba Saheb, you still wish to be revenged’.’
- 1.1 A respectful form of address for an older man.‘‘Sit down, baba, you like tea?’’
- ‘Sit down, baba, you like tea?’
- ‘Note that baba, on its own, can independently refer to an old wise man.’
- 1.2 A holy man.‘Balyogi Baba was reputed to have been standing on one leg for eight years’
- ‘It is relevant here to mention those three Indian saints in recent history Kabir and Nanak and late Sai baba of Sirdi who did not found any religion based on divine revelation.’
- ‘Look at the number of swamis, yogis, babas and even mendicants who have made a fortune in the western world, especially in America.’
- ‘I am told he is a mauna baba (a holy man who has taken a vow of silence).’
- ‘My father later explained that it was about this Baba (holy man) who would supposedly materialize objects from thin air.’
- ‘It was a framed picture of Shirdi Sai baba with his hand raised in blessing, lean and austere, with a white cloth tied around his head and a trimmed white beard.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, the one-armed baba and other members of the militant ascetic Juna Akhara sect are big fans of the Ram temple.’
- ‘Pray to Sun God and Sri Raghavendra or Shirdi baba on Thursdays.’
- ‘In due time Baba's holy body was placed and preserved in the central shrine.’
- ‘Ghani's life takes a turn when he falls in love with a medico, Indu, living in an ashram there, run by a baba.’
2A child, especially a male one.‘‘Remove the paper whenever you are ready, baba.’’
- ‘The babas (girls and boys) are barely three or four years old.’
- ‘But officially sanctioned ‘dating’ and sexual intimacy - na baba na.’
From Hindi bābā.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.