One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A father.‘she was muttering something about a baap who didn't have time for his own son’
- ‘Rishi Rich is the baap of modern Bhangra sound and Yash Raj film, the grand daddy of Bollywood.’
- ‘The baap of stirring renditions intones: ‘Believe me, I sing from my heart.’’
- ‘Also awaiting listeners are humorous shows including ‘Jholmaal’, ‘Angrezi Talking’, ‘Hakka Bakka’, ‘Wholesale Gudgee’ and the baap comedy ‘Hum Bolega… The Sajid Khan Show’.’
- ‘The magic of Jai and Veeru, talkative Basanti, the silent but strong Thakur and Gabbar Singh, the baap of all baddies, was evident as people came out smiling and repeating the dialogues of the film.’
- ‘Well, Udipi Chainis is the baap of even Indian Chainis.’
From Hindi bāp.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.