Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A Chinese religious motif incorporating the eight trigrams of the I Ching, arranged octagonally around a symbol denoting the balance of yin and yang, or around a mirror.
- ‘Though the four-syllable line is common in t'ai chi mnemonics as well, the pattern is not nearly as regular as in the pa kua verses.’
- ‘The 8 trigrams are created from the interaction of Yin and Yang, hence the ba gua.’
- ‘The Ba-Gua, a Chinese term that translates to the eight areas came from ancient China, along with Taoism, and is associated with the theory of Yin and Yang.’
- ‘Bagua Zhang derives its name from Ba Gua, the mystical symbol of the eight states of transformation upon which the Chinese book of divination, the I-Ching is based.’
- 1.1(in feng shui) the ba gua motif regarded as a pattern determining the significance and auspicious qualities of spatial relationships.
- ‘Ba-Gua is one of the main tools used to analyze the feng shui of any given space.’
- ‘The Ba Gua Ocotagon is used in feng shui to help determine preferred locations for certain functions in the home or office.’
- ‘Try looking into Feng Shui for uses of the pa kua (sp).’
- ‘The Ba Gua mirror is among the most well-known and commonly used of all the Feng Shui protection spells, remedies, or magical cures for improper placements.’
- ‘Come see these beautiful, 3 tiered, water fountain which are shaped after the eight-side mandala known in Feng Shui as the Ba-Gua.’
- 1.2[mass noun]A Chinese martial art in which movements are focused on a circle and the defence of eight points around it.
- ‘On the wooden dummy she went through forms for wing chun, jeet kune do, choy li fut, pa kua, shifting smoothly and tirelessly through the odd-angled protruding limbs, and when she was done the structure stood without damage.’
- ‘Other arts he has studied include Hopkido, aikido, shudokan karate, boxing, wrestling, tai chi chaun and pa kua chaun.’
- ‘Sifu Duncan's account not only contrasts the two styles but notably emphasizes the martial aspects of pa kua, as well as, tellingly, referring to the ‘concealment’ of its fighting applications.’
- ‘While pa kua focuses on circles, its sister art, hsing yi focuses on lines and linear attacks.’
- ‘That article linked to above is about the martial art, ba gua, based on the Eight Changes philosophy.’
From Chinese bā eight + guà divinatory symbols.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.