One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Chinese religious motif incorporating the eight trigrams of the I Ching, arranged octagonally around a symbol denoting the balance of yin and yang, or around a mirror.
- ‘The Ba-Gua, a Chinese term that translates to the eight areas came from ancient China, along with Taoism, and is associated with the theory of Yin and Yang.’
- ‘Bagua Zhang derives its name from Ba Gua, the mystical symbol of the eight states of transformation upon which the Chinese book of divination, the I-Ching is based.’
- ‘Though the four-syllable line is common in t'ai chi mnemonics as well, the pattern is not nearly as regular as in the pa kua verses.’
- ‘The 8 trigrams are created from the interaction of Yin and Yang, hence the ba gua.’
- 1.1 (in feng shui) the ba gua motif regarded as a pattern determining the significance and auspicious qualities of spatial relationships.
- ‘The Ba Gua Ocotagon is used in feng shui to help determine preferred locations for certain functions in the home or office.’
- ‘Try looking into Feng Shui for uses of the pa kua (sp).’
- ‘The Ba Gua mirror is among the most well-known and commonly used of all the Feng Shui protection spells, remedies, or magical cures for improper placements.’
- ‘Come see these beautiful, 3 tiered, water fountain which are shaped after the eight-side mandala known in Feng Shui as the Ba-Gua.’
- ‘Ba-Gua is one of the main tools used to analyze the feng shui of any given space.’
- 1.2mass noun A Chinese martial art in which movements are focused on a circle and the defence of eight points around it.
- ‘Sifu Duncan's account not only contrasts the two styles but notably emphasizes the martial aspects of pa kua, as well as, tellingly, referring to the ‘concealment’ of its fighting applications.’
- ‘Other arts he has studied include Hopkido, aikido, shudokan karate, boxing, wrestling, tai chi chaun and pa kua chaun.’
- ‘On the wooden dummy she went through forms for wing chun, jeet kune do, choy li fut, pa kua, shifting smoothly and tirelessly through the odd-angled protruding limbs, and when she was done the structure stood without damage.’
- ‘While pa kua focuses on circles, its sister art, hsing yi focuses on lines and linear attacks.’
- ‘That article linked to above is about the martial art, ba gua, based on the Eight Changes philosophy.’
From Chinese bā ‘eight’ + guà ‘divinatory symbols’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.