Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lymphocyte not processed by the thymus gland, and responsible for producing antibodies.
- ‘Those cells that may eventually become potentially cancerous produce abnormal protein, which triggers the B-lymphocytes to form an army of antibodies to destroy the mutated cancer cells.’
- ‘The appendix, in conjunction with other parts of the body which also contain cells called B-lymphocytes, manufactures several types of antibodies.’
- ‘The antibody on B-lymphocytes recognizes and binds foreign proteins, polysaccharides, or lipids in soluble form.’
- ‘The measles virus has been shown by researchers to be present in the tumor cells of patients suffering from Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer of the body's antibody-producing B-lymphocytes.’
- ‘Some of the immature cells remain in the bone mar row for the rest of their development, however, and they become B-lymphocytes.’
B for bursa, referring to the organ in birds where it was first identified.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.