One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lymphocyte not processed by the thymus gland, and responsible for producing antibodies.Compare with T-lymphocyte
Also called B-cell
- ‘The measles virus has been shown by researchers to be present in the tumor cells of patients suffering from Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer of the body's antibody-producing B-lymphocytes.’
- ‘The antibody on B-lymphocytes recognizes and binds foreign proteins, polysaccharides, or lipids in soluble form.’
- ‘The appendix, in conjunction with other parts of the body which also contain cells called B-lymphocytes, manufactures several types of antibodies.’
- ‘Some of the immature cells remain in the bone mar row for the rest of their development, however, and they become B-lymphocytes.’
- ‘Those cells that may eventually become potentially cancerous produce abnormal protein, which triggers the B-lymphocytes to form an army of antibodies to destroy the mutated cancer cells.’
B for bursa, referring to the organ in birds where it was first identified.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.