Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young man involved with hip-hop culture.
- ‘His approach, like photographer Nan Goldin, brought him intimately close to his subjects - the generation of b-boys and b-girls.’
- ‘Like b-boy Jason Mraz or a Remy Shand that rocks, Levine charismatically laid down his funk smoothness.’
- ‘‘B-Boy Stance’ was the first single, which I still think is far better with the b-boy / b-girl video.’
- ‘For the last seven years this annual blowout has attracted writers, b-boys, b-girls, MCs and turntablists from around the world, and this year is no different.’
- ‘In his first incarnation he was an '80s b-boy, and part of Ice-T's Rhyme Syndicate.’
- ‘Expect classic hip hop and b-boy breaks, as well as reggae and some very special guests.’
- ‘No way a joyous b-boy could pop 'n' lock to this thing.’
- ‘While New York speeds its way back to ‘business as usual,’ Crazy Legs and Rock Steady Crew continue to move ahead with plans that have the b-boys of the world in mind.’
- ‘Invite the b-boys - break-dancers, for those who don't know - to your show and share the stage.’
- ‘Local b-boys and b-girls have showcased strongly, most notably Pump, who last year caught the eye of New York promoters while performing in the '99 national finals.’
- ‘All you breakdancers, b-boys and b-girls, come on down, you're part of this element.’
- ‘We showcased a lot of talent last weekend; I think there were about 20 b-boys that came out to compete.’
- ‘It had its own language, it had developed a dress pattern inspired by the African-American b-boys and b-girls, and its artistic tastes indicated a preference for rap music, breakdancing, and graffiti.’
- ‘Having caught on to the London-based trend of hip hop dance classes, Da Angelo productions offers up a brand-new course for all aspiring b-boys and b-girls in Montreal.’
- ‘It's because patriotism is the last refuge of a b-boy.’
- ‘He's a b-boy with a poodle named Wesley and an apartment with ornate pillows with silk flowers on them and beautiful vases filled with giant lilies.’
- ‘And what about the breakdancing, featuring Stirling b-boys Allan Irvine and Wallace Sulley?’
- ‘There will also be a b-boy / b-girl competition and - get this - a live snowboarding event held outside, courtesy of The Source.’
- ‘Head spins and leaps were the order of the day, with the b-boys showing off their nimbleness and flexibility.’
- ‘While the b-boy roots of the main protagonists remain clear throughout, this is an album based around an altogether more organic sound.’
1980s: b- probably from the noun beat or from breakdancing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.