One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a large class of synthetic dyes whose molecules contain two adjacent nitrogen atoms between carbon atoms.
- ‘Urobilinogen reacts with a chromogen to form an azo dye which appears as various shades of pink or purple.’
- ‘Thus Paul Ehrlich's Salvarsan was an arsenic analogue of an azo dye, and the first sulfa, or wonder, drug, Prontosil, was the metabolic product of a red azo dye.’
- ‘Nitrite was determined spectrophotometrically upon diazotation and forming of azo dye.’
- ‘Orange smoke compositions, for example, are typically based on 50: 50 mixtures of azo dyes and reactants - a sugar like lactose or sucrose as fuel and an oxidiser such as potassium chlorate.’
- ‘The products from these reactions are used in the production of an important class of dyes, the azo dyes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.