One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cyclic organic compound having a ring including one or (usually) more nitrogen atoms.
- ‘NMR spectroscopy is an excellent tool to probe the degree of conjugation through the azine bridge.’
- ‘This invention relates to a method for preparing symmetrical azines as well as mixtures containing symmetrical and unsymmetrical azines.’
- ‘More intriguing is a theoretical paper analyzing medium-dependent photoisomerization of benzaldehyde azine.’
- ‘These compounds can be prepared from reduction of nitro compounds, by the action of nitric acid on amines, from compounds containing the carbonyl group (azines), and from the salts of hydrazoic acid (azide).’
- ‘The polarizabilities of the azaborinines along with our earlier results for the azoles, oxazoles and azines constitute a uniform quality data set of polarizabilities for 50 heteroaromatic molecules.’
Late 19th century: from azo- + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.