One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a Turkic people forming the majority population of Azerbaijan, and also living in Armenia and northern Iran.
- ‘It is believed that around thirteen million Azeris live in Iran.’
- ‘One good reason may be that the Azeris suspect that Azerbaijan's oil reserves were depleted by years of Soviet exploitation.’
- ‘Approximately 10 million Azeris live in Iran - more than in Azerbaijan.’
- ‘Iran has Persian-speaking populations on the central plateau, but on the peripheries are ethnic and religious minorities, including Turkic Azeris, Kurds, Lurs, Arabs, Baluch, Tajiks and Turkmen.’
- ‘Consequently, there are today twice as many ethnic Azeris in Iran as there are in Azerbaijan, with a population of 8 million.’
2mass noun The Azerbaijani language.
- ‘Linguistically, it is close to Azeri, Turkish, and Uzbek.’
- ‘Needless to say it declines to broadcast in Hebrew, even though it does broadcast in the languages of other small nations: Slovene and Slovak, Macedonian and Albanian, Azeri and Uzbek, Kazakh and Kyrgyz, and so on.’
- ‘Because Azerbaijan is a former Soviet Republic, most people older than 20 speak both the native tongue, Azeri, and Russian.’
- ‘Today, young people have the greatest chances of getting the best jobs if they speak three languages: Azeri, Russian, and English.’
- ‘Until 1926, Azeri was written in Arabic script, which then was replaced by the Latin alphabet and in 1939 by Cyrillic.’
Relating to the Azeris or their language.
- ‘The Pentagon is talking with Azeri officials about the possible use of bases for U.S. operations.’
- ‘Locals queued to fill up with spring water; it was refreshingly cool and free of the metallic tang that taints most Azeri aquifers and pipes.’
- ‘Because of decades of Soviet rule, she said, few Azeris have a sound knowledge of Islam, although Islam remains an integral part of Azeri identity.’
- ‘In the absence of Kazak oil the commercial viability of Baku-Jeyhan will continue to rest solely on the availability of additional Azeri oil.’
- ‘But the consortium of oil companies, called Azerbaijan International Operating Company, claimed that they paid Azeri leaders for the same block $400 million in bonuses.’
From Turkish azerî.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.