Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A deciduous flowering shrub with clusters of brightly coloured, sometimes fragrant flowers. Azaleas are typically smaller than other rhododendrons and there are numerous cultivars.
- ‘Add flowering azaleas, rhododendrons, and dogwood nearby for a wonderful color combination.’
- ‘Gardenias like an acidic soil and so grow well with camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘These two waterways enhance the beauty of the property at any time but especially when the rhododendrons and azaleas are flowering on their banks and reflected in the water.’
- ‘Both azaleas and rhododendrons should be pruned after flowering.’
- ‘The spectacular spring flowers of azaleas and rhododendrons make them among the most popular garden shrubs.’
- ‘Rhododendrons, magnolia, azaleas and camellias are all planted here in great abundance.’
- ‘Smooth hydrangea, sweet shrub, and deciduous azaleas bloom under the oaks.’
- ‘As those flowers of early spring begin to fade the azaleas and rhododendrons and later flowering cherry trees in parks and home gardens provide a feast of colour.’
- ‘Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘And the azalea, rare rhododendrons, oak, holly, birch and sycamore have altered only in the context of nature's sedate march.’
- ‘But the rest of the rhododendrons and evergreen azaleas kept their rich green color.’
- ‘The gardens are bounded by rhododendrons as well as azaleas, while in the woodlands there are snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils and narcissi.’
- ‘Flowers are blooming weeks earlier than usual with Castle Howard boasting daffodils, snowdrops, rhododendrons, azaleas and crocuses.’
- ‘With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.’
- ‘These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.’
- ‘The easiest plants to move are those with thin, compact and fibrous root systems such as rhododendrons, azaleas, pieris, hydrangeas and boxwoods.’
- ‘Using shelterbelts of yew, box and laurel they began collections of azaleas, magnolias, rhododendrons and camellias.’
- ‘Rhododendrons and azaleas will continue to sell despite deer, black vine weevil, phytophhora, and rhizoc, but should they?’
- ‘There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.’
- ‘Other favorite flowers are pussy willow, azalea, peony and water lily or narcissus.’
Mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek, feminine of azaleos dry, because the shrub flourishes in dry soil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.