One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deciduous flowering shrub with clusters of brightly coloured, sometimes fragrant flowers. Azaleas are typically smaller than other rhododendrons and there are numerous cultivars.
Genus Rhododendron, family Ericaceae
- ‘Both azaleas and rhododendrons should be pruned after flowering.’
- ‘Rhododendrons, magnolia, azaleas and camellias are all planted here in great abundance.’
- ‘But the rest of the rhododendrons and evergreen azaleas kept their rich green color.’
- ‘With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.’
- ‘Other favorite flowers are pussy willow, azalea, peony and water lily or narcissus.’
- ‘As those flowers of early spring begin to fade the azaleas and rhododendrons and later flowering cherry trees in parks and home gardens provide a feast of colour.’
- ‘Gardenias like an acidic soil and so grow well with camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘Flowers are blooming weeks earlier than usual with Castle Howard boasting daffodils, snowdrops, rhododendrons, azaleas and crocuses.’
- ‘Rhododendrons and azaleas will continue to sell despite deer, black vine weevil, phytophhora, and rhizoc, but should they?’
- ‘Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.’
- ‘Add flowering azaleas, rhododendrons, and dogwood nearby for a wonderful color combination.’
- ‘The gardens are bounded by rhododendrons as well as azaleas, while in the woodlands there are snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils and narcissi.’
- ‘Smooth hydrangea, sweet shrub, and deciduous azaleas bloom under the oaks.’
- ‘Using shelterbelts of yew, box and laurel they began collections of azaleas, magnolias, rhododendrons and camellias.’
- ‘The spectacular spring flowers of azaleas and rhododendrons make them among the most popular garden shrubs.’
- ‘These two waterways enhance the beauty of the property at any time but especially when the rhododendrons and azaleas are flowering on their banks and reflected in the water.’
- ‘The easiest plants to move are those with thin, compact and fibrous root systems such as rhododendrons, azaleas, pieris, hydrangeas and boxwoods.’
- ‘And the azalea, rare rhododendrons, oak, holly, birch and sycamore have altered only in the context of nature's sedate march.’
- ‘These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.’
Mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek, feminine of azaleos ‘dry’, because the shrub flourishes in dry soil.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.