Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A deciduous flowering shrub with clusters of brightly coloured, sometimes fragrant flowers. Azaleas are typically smaller than other rhododendrons and there are numerous cultivars.
- ‘These two waterways enhance the beauty of the property at any time but especially when the rhododendrons and azaleas are flowering on their banks and reflected in the water.’
- ‘Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.’
- ‘Using shelterbelts of yew, box and laurel they began collections of azaleas, magnolias, rhododendrons and camellias.’
- ‘Gardenias like an acidic soil and so grow well with camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘Rhododendrons, magnolia, azaleas and camellias are all planted here in great abundance.’
- ‘Smooth hydrangea, sweet shrub, and deciduous azaleas bloom under the oaks.’
- ‘The gardens are bounded by rhododendrons as well as azaleas, while in the woodlands there are snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils and narcissi.’
- ‘Other favorite flowers are pussy willow, azalea, peony and water lily or narcissus.’
- ‘Rhododendrons and azaleas will continue to sell despite deer, black vine weevil, phytophhora, and rhizoc, but should they?’
- ‘The spectacular spring flowers of azaleas and rhododendrons make them among the most popular garden shrubs.’
- ‘Add flowering azaleas, rhododendrons, and dogwood nearby for a wonderful color combination.’
- ‘There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.’
- ‘And the azalea, rare rhododendrons, oak, holly, birch and sycamore have altered only in the context of nature's sedate march.’
- ‘Flowers are blooming weeks earlier than usual with Castle Howard boasting daffodils, snowdrops, rhododendrons, azaleas and crocuses.’
- ‘The easiest plants to move are those with thin, compact and fibrous root systems such as rhododendrons, azaleas, pieris, hydrangeas and boxwoods.’
- ‘As those flowers of early spring begin to fade the azaleas and rhododendrons and later flowering cherry trees in parks and home gardens provide a feast of colour.’
- ‘Both azaleas and rhododendrons should be pruned after flowering.’
- ‘But the rest of the rhododendrons and evergreen azaleas kept their rich green color.’
- ‘With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.’
Mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek, feminine of azaleos dry, because the shrub flourishes in dry soil.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.