Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The cytoplasm of a nerve axon.
- ‘To deliver HSV into the axoplasm, viral particles stripped of their envelopes by detergent were injected into the giant axon, thereby bypassing the infective process.’
- ‘Furthermore, both the rates and mode of saltatory transport of organelles in giant lamellipodia resemble myosin-driven transport along actin in extruded squid axoplasm.’
- ‘It is argued that many aspects of the composition and dispersal properties of Myxicola axoplasm are similar to those in other axons.’
- ‘Here we provide evidence of a new type of organelle movement in squid axoplasm which is independent of both microtubules and microtubule-based motors.’
- ‘The brightness and density of mito-GFP labeling within presynaptic boutons provides a rough estimate for mitochondrial concentration in the presynaptic axoplasm.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.