Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘A number of models have been proposed based on assumption of certain feedback mechanisms wherein local sliding between microtubules is regulated by the axonemal curvature.’
- ‘The PCD phenotype results from axonemal abnormalities and dysfunction of motile cilia and flagella.’
- ‘Though speculative, perhaps these heterodimeric motors walk along the seam of the doublet microtubules or interact optimally with the microtubule-associated proteins found on axonemal microtubules.’
- ‘Previous studies have revealed that axonemal microtubules showed oscillatory sliding under the condition where the free bending of axonemes was restricted by adhering them on glass surfaces.’
- ‘The homology between axonemal and cytoplasmic dynein intermediate chains has suggested a similar cargo-binding function for the IC subunit of cytoplasmic dynein.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.