Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The long thread-like part of a nerve cell along which impulses are conducted from the cell body to other cells.Compare with dendrite
nerve fibreView synonyms
- ‘If aluminium causes direct neuronal death, why would this lead to slowing of conduction along the axons of the optic nerves?’
- ‘The nerve fibres in the optic tract (the axons of retinal ganglion cells) terminate in two main areas of the brain.’
- ‘Neurites are the long projections of nerve cell bodies called axons and dendrites.’
- ‘All axons from the enteric nerve cells lack a myelin sheath.’
- ‘In contrast to the innervation of the proximal esophagus, axons from vagal neurons synapse within ganglia of the myenteric plexus.’
Mid 19th century (denoting the body axis): from Greek axōn axis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.