One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The long threadlike part of a nerve cell along which impulses are conducted from the cell body to other cells.Compare with dendrite
nerve fibreView synonyms
- ‘All axons from the enteric nerve cells lack a myelin sheath.’
- ‘In contrast to the innervation of the proximal esophagus, axons from vagal neurons synapse within ganglia of the myenteric plexus.’
- ‘Neurites are the long projections of nerve cell bodies called axons and dendrites.’
- ‘If aluminium causes direct neuronal death, why would this lead to slowing of conduction along the axons of the optic nerves?’
- ‘The nerve fibres in the optic tract (the axons of retinal ganglion cells) terminate in two main areas of the brain.’
Mid 19th century (denoting the body axis): from Greek axōn ‘axis’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.