One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(on a railway vehicle) a metal enclosure within which the end of an axle revolves.
- ‘The axle boxes proved to be a very expensive item, considerably exceeding the original budget.’
- ‘A number of axle box suspension systems are used to simplify the structure and permit easier maintenance.’
- ‘The axle box was notched accordingly and final fitting was carefully done with chisels and files.’
- ‘The wheels, equipped with smooth pneumatic tyres, are brought into contact with the road surface and the sideways force on the wheel is measured with a load cell attached to the axle box.’
- ‘Straps are riveted to the bottom ends of the W-irons so that the axle boxes and springs don't fall out.’
- ‘These products are used extensively in the axle boxes of all the various types of rolling stock around the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.