Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Express (a theory) as a set of axioms.‘the attempts that are made to axiomatize linguistics’
- ‘Hilbert believed that all of mathematics could be precisely axiomatized.’
- ‘Economic theories have been axiomatized, and articles and books of economics are full of theorems.’
- ‘The Godel Incompleteness Theorem applies only to formal logic systems axiomatized in a certain way.’
- ‘Rather it prompted him to make the first attempt to axiomatise set theory and he began this task in 1905.’
- ‘Now Frege axiomatized arithmetic with an intuitive collection of axioms, and proofs of number theory results which he had only sketched earlier he now gave formally.’
- ‘Any one of the ordinary, everyday proofs mathematicians deal with in their work can be re-written in a formal way that fits into this framework the logicians have axiomatized.’
- ‘Gentzen's was the most outstanding contribution to Hilbert's programme of axiomatising mathematics.’
- ‘Within politics, the eventual Truth is axiomatised according to the strategic perpetuation of hegemonic rule.’
- ‘Many other mathematicians attempted to axiomatise set theory.’
- ‘Grammar formalisms - special-purpose systems for the description of linguistic systems and subsystems - can be thought of as logics designed to axiomatize the association of linguistic structures with strings of symbols.’
- ‘The construction of the reals from the integers proceeds in several stages: first axiomatize the positive integers, then construct negative from positive integers, then rationals from integers, and finally reals from rationals.’
- ‘The sciences - at any rate the theoretical sciences - are to be axiomatised.’
- ‘It would build on the early work in axiomatizing branches of mathematics, as well as the monumental efforts of logicists like Frege in developing rigorous logical systems.’
- ‘Italian mathematician Giuseppe Peano axiomatized the mathematical theory of natural numbers.’
- ‘Moreover, the geometries axiomatized in the book have consistent and decidable extensions, namely, Euclidean or hyperbolic geometry over real-closed fields.’
- ‘System PC is only one of many possible ways of axiomatizing propositional logic.’
- ‘Poincaré was absolutely correct, however, in his criticism of those like Russell who wished to axiomatise mathematics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.