Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the armpit or a corresponding part.‘enlargement of the axillary lymph nodes’
- ‘Bone marrow and axillary lymph node biopsies both contained mixed cellularity Hodgkin lymphoma.’
- ‘We compared the findings in these lymph nodes with lymph nodes obtained from axillary and inguinal dissections during surgical procedures.’
- ‘The anterior landmark for the axillary site corresponded with the articulation of the third rib and sternum.’
- ‘Biopsy sites included cervical, mediastinal, supraclavicular, axillary, and inguinal lymph nodes, as well as masses of the cecum, stomach, colon, oropharynx, and eyelid.’
- ‘There were ipsilateral matted axillary lymph nodes, and the overlying skin showed peau d' orange.’
In or growing from an axil.‘axillary buds’Often contrasted with terminal
- ‘They have more leaves and axillary shoots and more leaf surface area per plant than do seedlings from the other two subspecies.’
- ‘Three main aspects of vegetative development were investigated: the quantity of primary growth; the number and nature of developing axillary shoots; and meristem death.’
- ‘These branches grow out from orthotropic epicormic buds that apparently originate from the axillary meristems in the main stem.’
- ‘In contrast, buds in axillary positions on 1-year-old long shoots differentiated less often into a floral bud.’
- ‘This line appeared to be suitable to study in more detail the local consequences of enhanced cytokinin production in axillary meristems.’
Feathers growing from the axilla.
- ‘In flight, black axillaries contrast with white under-wing coverts.’
- ‘The characters used to distinguish N. w. immaculatus (larger, blacker, lacking white mottling on the underparts and white barring in the remiges, axillaries, and wing coverts; Mayr 1949) are negated by the variation in our specimens.’
- ‘The underwing linings and axillaries are pale beige.’
- ‘In flight, they can be distinguished from the Peregrine Falcon by their more rounded wingtips and dark axillaries and coverts, which make for distinctive field marks from below.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.