Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘These areas extended axially over 9-11 target zones along each thin filament and laterally over 12-15 thin filaments.’
- ‘The roots were sectioned longitudinally and axially in two parts and the sections were placed for 3 h in the dark at room temperature in 0.22 M rhodamine-phalloidin (Molecular Probes, Inc).’
- ‘The work support system can be provided with centers or cradles, which allow easy axially loading and unloading of parts up to 12’ long.’
- ‘Shock absorption allows the spine to compress and rebound when the spine is axially loaded during such activities as jumping and running.’
- ‘One of the great surprises about Saturn so far is the fact that the measured internal planetary field is very axially symmetric.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.