Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who commits murder with an axe (frequently used to evoke an image of a violent psychopathic criminal)‘a convicted axe murderer’‘you could be an axe murderer for all I know!’
- ‘He and I are both looking at getting somewhere in London, and it would be far better to rent with someone you know than move in with anonymous axe murderers.’
- ‘Make sure you tell a friend where you're going in case this person turns out to be an axe murderer.’
- ‘I openly acknowledge the everyday faith that I rely on to cross the street with the stoplight, to eat food made by unknown hands, or to visit the home of a new friend who may or may not be an axe murderer.’
- ‘Then you just realise, these are nice people, not axe murderers, and if they think you're a stupid jerk, they'll talk about you on the drive home and wouldn't tell you directly.’
- ‘Dennis is too busy thanking God we weren't picked up by an axe murderer.’
- ‘It turns out he's not an axe murderer and is in fact an extremely decent bloke (apart from the snoring).’
- ‘An axe murderer has gone on the run from an open prison after he was given leave to work for a charity.’
- ‘When an axe murderer comes at you, it is handy to wield an axe yourself.’
- ‘It's a relatively sweet and innocent movie, which is interesting because a few years later movie audiences couldn't go to summer camp without having to watch every character be hacked up by an axe murderer.’
- ‘It's easier than slogging up the hill that is Lilyfield Road, and I'd rather take my chances with an escaped insane axe murderer than some of the drivers that howl up and down Lilyfield Road.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.