Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unpleasant or shocking in appearance:‘a rather awful-looking shopping plaza’
- ‘It's not awful-looking, but I'd say it's a notch or two below par for most television releases of the era.’
- ‘I had a huge, awful-looking bathroom once and the minute I removed the giant mirror that was making me see TWO awful bathrooms, the place looked a lot more manageable and I was more easily able to come up with a decorating scheme.’
- ‘They were moose-hide, awful-looking things with metal buttons, and came with a weird flat, textured rubber sole material that the maker said was actually conveyor belting that he cut to fit the boots.’
- ‘Even the King's guards hesitated before entering the awful-looking place.’
- ‘But what was the last truly awful-looking car or truck that succeeded?’
- ‘Killers From Space, on the other hand, is suitably awful-looking.’
- ‘The open tab thumbnails also fail to render in portrait mode at first, resulting is some awful-looking, blurry images.’
- ‘The effects of Ware's injury, an awful-looking broken leg suffered while contesting a 3-point shot against Duke, from a psychological standpoint are evident.’
- ‘If you use it to mange your blog's feed, you can easily turn boring-looking (and possibly awful-looking) email subscription messages into sleek, branded designs.’
- ‘One onlooker said: "It was a most awful-looking fall."’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.