One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unpleasant or shocking in appearance.‘a rather awful-looking shopping plaza’
- ‘Even the King's guards hesitated before entering the awful-looking place.’
- ‘The effects of Ware's injury, an awful-looking broken leg suffered while contesting a 3-point shot against Duke, from a psychological standpoint are evident.’
- ‘Killers From Space, on the other hand, is suitably awful-looking.’
- ‘One onlooker said: "It was a most awful-looking fall."’
- ‘It's not awful-looking, but I'd say it's a notch or two below par for most television releases of the era.’
- ‘They were moose-hide, awful-looking things with metal buttons, and came with a weird flat, textured rubber sole material that the maker said was actually conveyor belting that he cut to fit the boots.’
- ‘But what was the last truly awful-looking car or truck that succeeded?’
- ‘I had a huge, awful-looking bathroom once and the minute I removed the giant mirror that was making me see TWO awful bathrooms, the place looked a lot more manageable and I was more easily able to come up with a decorating scheme.’
- ‘The open tab thumbnails also fail to render in portrait mode at first, resulting is some awful-looking, blurry images.’
- ‘If you use it to mange your blog's feed, you can easily turn boring-looking (and possibly awful-looking) email subscription messages into sleek, branded designs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.