One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Giving the impression of being mad, distracted, or in a dreamworld.
severely mentally ill, mentally ill, insane, mad, certifiable, deranged, demented, of unsound mind, out of one's mind, not in one's right mind, not together, crazed, maniac, maniacal, lunatic, unbalanced, unhinged, unstable, disturbed, distracted, stark mad, manic, frenzied, raving, distraught, frantic, hysterical, delirious, mad as a hatter, mad as a march hareView synonyms
- ‘Dude, are we practicing tonight or not, or are you going to spend all night away with the fairies?’
- ‘The mystical spin on real-life political tragedy may have worked in the original novel, but here, defying tyrants while being away with the fairies just doesn't work.’
- ‘My prone body would lie limp, my mental faculties away with the fairies with no estimated time of return.’
- ‘Even fellas in the Garda College said to me that they thought I was away with the fairies.’
- ‘I did and the soothing sensations again lulled me away with the fairies.’
- ‘While he was gone, we spoke to his wife - he'd just had a hip replacement operation, and was just coming off the morphine. ‘You should have seen him, he was away with the fairies!’’
- ‘I ran two red lights yesterday and was completely away with the fairies.’
- ‘They are both really quirky - Clark can be away with the fairies sometimes and Astel always thinks he's right.’
- ‘We were at the Greyfisher having a leaving do for Donna, Sy's boss, when the clock struck midnight and Sy was already WELL away with the fairies!’
- ‘His rescuers, who were thinking to themselves - ‘It's too late for him now anyway, as he's away with the fairies already!’’
- ‘The Fairy Ring was established five years ago after the founder of the National Fairy Appreciation Society folded her group - ‘she went away with the fairies,’ quipped Susan.’
- ‘Most of friends think that my interest is quite apt, most of them think I'm away with the fairies anyway!’
- ‘When I woke up at 7: 45 the next morning I went down to breakfast to find out JC and the others had all but broken the door down to get in to wake me up but I was away with the fairies.’
- ‘It is all about tactics and you have to concentrate, but I used to be away with the fairies.’
- ‘People who go around spreading malicious lies that this is a rural issue are away with the fairies.’
- ‘At present the Government seems to be away with the fairies, ‘Healy-Rae said.’’
- ‘I know that he is routinely described as being of a ‘fragile’ sensibility, and l know I should make allowances, but dear me, he really was away with the fairies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.