Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A formal occasion at which prizes are given to honour achievement in a particular field:‘winners will be selected and brought together at a special awards ceremony’‘a star-studded awards ceremony at the BFI’
- ‘Last night's glittering awards ceremony was attended by the young nominees, their families, friends and teachers.’
- ‘The star was named best musical artist at the LA-based awards ceremony in February 2006.’
- ‘He received the youth achievement award at the awards ceremony.’
- ‘Three assessments will take place in 2004, culminating in an awards ceremony towards the end of the year.’
- ‘They will find out whether they have won at the glittering awards ceremony, but they face stiff competition.’
- ‘The award ceremony was a lively affair with music supplied by talented guitarists.’
- ‘We've not been to that many award ceremonies, and as a band we're not really into that whole business of being seen.’
- ‘This is the first year that the prestigious awards ceremony has included an award of this type and they are collectively and understandably delighted.’
- ‘Every significant filmmaking country in the world has an annual awards ceremony honouring the year's finest indigenous productions.’
- ‘The BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards have honoured the best in folk, roots, and acoustic music with an annual awards ceremony since 2000.’
- ‘He wanted to invite the public to future police award ceremonies so they could get a greater understanding of how the police service works.’
- ‘When we get invited to awards ceremonies, we all just want to know if we've won or not.’
- ‘This was my planned speech for the award ceremony.’
- ‘Finalists gathered at a glittering awards ceremony held at the Milennia.’
- ‘The teenager was a little overwhelmed by all of the attention she attracted at the awards ceremony.’
- ‘This prestigious annual awards ceremony was attended by a dazzling array of celebrities, socialites and restaurant owners.’
- ‘The group also offers the perfect Hollywood-style incentive: a gala awards ceremony complete with a gourmet dinner of organic food and wine.’
- ‘The clean sweep at the world's biggest film awards ceremony was made by the third and last part of the epic screen adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.’
- ‘Three entrants will be short listed to go forward to the Finals, which will be announced at a prestigious awards ceremony.’
- ‘The award ceremony builds on the success of the inaugural awards held last year.’
- ‘After some milling about, the awards ceremony gets underway.’
- ‘The invitations to present award ceremonies across Europe and play gigs in far-flung places are stacking up.’
- ‘The website carries photos of celebrities attending award ceremonies, dressed in glamorous attire.’
- ‘Adult learners from New College celebrated unprecedented success at a special awards ceremony.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.