Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘All platinum winners received US $1200, plus complimentary hotel nights at various Caribbean hotels, while the gold awardees banked US $800, plus complimentary hotel stays.’
- ‘The 12 page brochure produced by the Connacht Tribute is a masterpiece, carrying details of all previous winners since 1965 and coloured photos and tributes to all the current awardees.’
- ‘‘Generally social functions for awardees are held in Sydney, but we wanted something more local and this is the result,’ Jill said.’
- ‘Among the 15 awardees of 10th class there are 6 Muslim students and 9 are non-Muslims.’
- ‘Several of this year's speakers and awardees are inappropriate and their presence at Catholic institutions is scandalous.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.