Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘All these forms of avouchment will be more fully explained later in this guide, as they apply to the jurisdictions wherein they are used.’
- ‘Under no circumstances whatever should ‘A’ ever accept an avouchment from ‘B’ as to ‘C,’ unless all three be present together.’
- ‘No, this was a silent mutiny, a mutiny of the heart, and paradoxically, though it was never intended - but, perhaps, a kind of Karma - an avouchment of support for him.’
- ‘After signing up with the required avouchments and paying the $75 initial registration fee, reserve a car for 1 hour or more, and pay $6.00 / hour plus $.50 / mile.’
- ‘This avouchment is made to the Tyler, who will cause you to sign the register, to which will be appended the name of the member who is making the avouchment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.