One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Able to be avoided or prevented.‘the accident was entirely avoidable’‘avoidable costs’
preventable, stoppable, avertableView synonyms
- ‘If most Israelis consider a confrontation unnecessary or avoidable, they will simply refuse to fight.’
- ‘I hope not, because it is needless, avoidable and a national disgrace that this can happen every year.’
- ‘Firefighters are now warning people to keep combustible materials away from buildings to prevent avoidable damage.’
- ‘The Post Office will be made responsible for maintaining the rural network and preventing any avoidable closures.’
- ‘This is driving a panic not to give anyone any reason to be able to point a finger of blame that the government didn't prevent an avoidable atrocity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.