One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Try hard to avoid someone or something.‘a place that Robyn normally avoided like the plague’‘I avoid business lunches like the plague’
- ‘I do believe Mobile phones makes us more productive, which is why I avoid them like the plague.’
- ‘Once you apologize, you should avoid the subject like the plague.’
- ‘I have a dangerously addictive personality, which is why I avoid drugs like the plague.’
- ‘Nowadays production companies try to avoid such situations like the plague.’
- ‘In an effort to keep my sanity, I've avoided his speeches like the plague over the last six months.’
- ‘I otherwise try and avoid chain eateries like the plague.’
- ‘I always advise speakers to avoid cliches like the plague!’
- ‘Both sides will want to avoid defeat like the plague.’
- ‘Abruptly, Shawn realized a reason why Emma had been avoiding him like the plague.’
- ‘Many serious dramatic actors seem to avoid romantic comedy like the plague.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.