One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a microorganism) not virulent.
- ‘Nonrice isolates were generally avirulent or weakly pathogenic toward rice.’
- ‘Mating is disrupted in gpa3 mutants; since mating is required for pathogenicity, these strains are also avirulent.’
- ‘Concerning biotic stress, plants exposed to virulent and avirulent pathogens respond with a range of defence- and damage-limiting mechanisms.’
- ‘The main common defence reaction is the hypersensitive response, characterized by the induction of rapid cell death at the site of the attempted attack by either an avirulent strain of a pathogen or a non-pathogen.’
- ‘In Arabidopsis plants infiltrated with avirulent bacteria, specific calcium ‘waves’ were found to occur concurrent with the oxidative burst, leading to the HR.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.