Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[usually treated as singular] Electronics as applied to aviation.
- ‘Students study subjects such as aerodynamics, aircraft electrical systems and avionics.’
- ‘She received her bachelor of engineering degree in aerospace avionics from Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia, and has also worked in Australia and the United Kingdom.’
- ‘That means knowing the airplane's sophisticated systems - hydraulics, avionics, communications, navigation and electrical.’
- ‘She has more than nine years of systems engineering experience with avionics both at the platform integration level and unit level.’
- ‘The training, both classroom and practical, covers a range of aircraft and avionics technical courses, aircraft structural courses, and aircraft life support courses.’
- 1.1[usually treated as plural] Electronic equipment fitted in an aircraft:‘ground training focuses on how to use the avionics’
- ‘If your airplane needs complete cosmetic refurbishment, new avionics and a new engine, chances are, you'll pass that point if you go ahead with the upgrade.’
- ‘The GE-Honeywell deal would result in an aerospace behemoth that offers airline customers jet engines, avionics, and financing in one bundle.’
- ‘The parties will attend another working group session this month in Moscow to review the project and select engine and avionics suppliers.’
- ‘They propose modifying the avionics in aircraft so that the plane would fight any efforts by the pilot to fly into restricted airspace.’
- ‘Lockheed Martin is also responsible for the avionics and electrical flight control system, as well as for general technical consulting.’
1940s: blend of aviation and electronics.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.