One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of behaviour therapy designed to make patients give up an undesirable habit by causing them to associate it with an unpleasant effect.
- ‘Some examples of rehabilitation programs are psychological/behavioral modification, aversion therapy, and detoxification.’
- ‘This infamous film, withdrawn by the director during his lifetime, deals with the questionable effects of aversion therapy on a violent teenage rapist.’
- ‘Out of the 29 patients who had been through aversion therapy, only one considered himself as heterosexual.’
- ‘For example, mild aversion therapy followed by positive reinforcement may be effective.’
- ‘The most common treatment (from the early 1960s to early 1970s, with one case in 1980) was behavioural aversion therapy with electric shocks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.