One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of compounds with strong anthelmintic properties, isolated from a strain of bacteria. Chemically, they are macrocyclic lactones with a disaccharide ring attached.
- ‘Treatments for scabies are generally topical, although systemic ivermectin (not licensed in the United Kingdom) is also very effective, and other veterinary avermectins such as doramectin are also likely to work.’
- ‘This fungus produces a variety of toxins which are called avermectins.’
- ‘However, it is now little used having been superseded by the more effective and safer avermectins.’
- ‘As a result, it has become standard to omit the use of a and b designations in naming avermectins.’
- ‘Studies of livestock have found that the presence of avermectins slow the degradation of dung due to its harmful effects on dung insects.’
1970s: from modern Latin ( Streptomyces) averm(itilis), the name of the source actinomycete, + ect- (of unknown origin) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.