Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘His avant-gardism attracts the attention of the villagers.’
- ‘What led the artist whose paintings are considered to have first inspired the use of the term ‘surrealism’ to cast doubt on so much of the avant-gardism of his time?’
- ‘‘Our film,’ Dali boasted, ‘ruined in a single evening ten years of pseudo-intellectual post-war avant-gardism.’’
- ‘Each project engages with avant-gardism in manners that suggest its reinscription as a paradigm for art and social action in the 21st century.’
- ‘The former challenges the choir with all kinds of technical hurdles, and the work, while utterly sincere, verges on avant-gardism of a type not common since the 1960s.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.