Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The quality of being able to be used or obtained:‘turkey producers had been losing sales because of the all-year-round availability of beef’‘the availability of social housing varies widely in rural areas’
- ‘Accurate prediction of fertilizer nitrogen availability will be difficult.’
- ‘The availability of modern health services in the larger cities contributes to better and early diagnosis.’
- ‘Remove bird feeders to help lower the availability of food for voles.’
- ‘Both groups identified the availability of career opportunities as the most influential factor in their selection of an academic major.’
- ‘One consequence is a reduction in the availability of educated professionals for the agricultural industry.’
- ‘Food availability was not an issue.’
- ‘The efficacy is affected by the availability of molecular oxygen in the targeted tumor tissue during irradiation.’
- ‘College characteristics such as cost, availability of financial aid, and location are all considered.’
- ‘The soil moisture profile should be replenished by the third week of June to provide for optimum water availability.’
- ‘The widespread availability of computer technology makes the application of ecological footprint analysis feasible as a homework assignment for the students.’
- 1.1 The state of being otherwise unoccupied; freedom to do something:‘they enquired as to my availability for a game the following evening’
- ‘He was cited for his knowledge and skill and his availability to his fellow doctors in caring for mutual patients.’
- ‘They are compiling a list of every officer's availability to fly to Southeast Asia to help with the search.’
- ‘He never placed barriers in the way of his warmth and friendship, and his availability to help any of his colleagues.’
- ‘We made an inquiry last week to establish his availability.’
- ‘His apparent availability may now alert other interested parties as well.’
- ‘He announced his availability to serve as energy czar in the new administration.’
- ‘Any teams interested in entering should contact the tournament organizer with details of their availability.’
- ‘He was a frequent pundit on TV news, where he twice floated his availability to return as police chief.’
- ‘The inspector will inquire about the availability of the staff during the survey time schedule.’
- ‘The message has been sent out to all divisions asking for the availability and status of certain specialists including forensic officers.’
- 1.2informal The state of not being currently involved in a sexual or romantic relationship:‘if you call yourself 'Miss' you're advertising your availability to any man who takes a fancy’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.