Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The data indicate that the mutations complement with respect to the auxotrophic phenotype when grown on Sang's medium.’
- ‘In addition to testing the generality of fungal survival factors, auxotrophic mutants allow several key aspects of fungal biology to be assessed in vivo.’
- ‘Linear relationships have been found between increasing levels of the supplied amino acid and the bioluminescence emission of the auxotrophic mutant of E. coli carrying the lux system.’
- ‘Previous work on Drosophila de novo purine synthesis genes showed that 4 mg/ml RNA supplementation can rescue the phenotype of auxotrophic mutants fed a defined medium.’
- ‘A plasmid containing this 3.1 kb of wild-type genomic DNA was cotransfected with a trp1 plasmid into protoplasts isolated from an auxotrophic thn1 mutant strain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.