Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant hormone which causes the elongation of cells in shoots and is involved in regulating plant growth.‘the apex of a growing stem produces auxin’See also indoleacetic acidcount noun ‘gibberellin interacts with cytokinins and auxins’
- ‘Falling levels of plant hormones such as auxin and the cytokinins are responsible.’
- ‘Moreover, lateral root formation can be initiated by the application of the plant hormone auxin.’
- ‘New links to the plant hormone, auxin, were also uncovered.’
- ‘Hormones such as auxins and gibberellins trigger fruit cells to expand.’
- ‘The news release relates to auxin, a plant hormone known to function in plant growth and development.’
1930s: coined in German from Greek auxein ‘to increase’ + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.