Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A plant hormone which causes the elongation of cells in shoots and is involved in regulating plant growth.‘the apex of a growing stem produces auxin’See also indoleacetic acid[count noun] ‘gibberellin interacts with cytokinins and auxins’
- ‘Falling levels of plant hormones such as auxin and the cytokinins are responsible.’
- ‘New links to the plant hormone, auxin, were also uncovered.’
- ‘Hormones such as auxins and gibberellins trigger fruit cells to expand.’
- ‘Moreover, lateral root formation can be initiated by the application of the plant hormone auxin.’
- ‘The news release relates to auxin, a plant hormone known to function in plant growth and development.’
1930s: coined in German from Greek auxein to increase + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.