One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spontaneous oxidation of a substance at ambient temperatures in the presence of oxygen.
- ‘It can also be formed by oxidative deoxyribose breakdown or autoxidation of sugars, such as glucose, and it plays a role in the pathophysiology of diabetes and ageing.’
- ‘Vitamin E is a chain-breaking antioxidant, i.e. it is able to repair oxidizing radicals directly, preventing the chain propagation step during lipid autoxidation.’
- ‘Lipid oxidation is a major cause of meat quality deterioration, as products of autoxidation of unsaturated fatty acids affect wholesomeness and nutritional value.’
- ‘In the absence of melanin, the ascorbic acid undergoes metal-catalyzed autoxidation.’
- ‘Many fatty foods are susceptible to autoxidation, involving the oxidation of lipid molecules to produce malodorous ketones, alcohols and acids that adversely affect the texture, flavour and taste of food.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.