One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spontaneous oxidation of a substance at ambient temperatures in the presence of oxygen.
- ‘Lipid oxidation is a major cause of meat quality deterioration, as products of autoxidation of unsaturated fatty acids affect wholesomeness and nutritional value.’
- ‘Vitamin E is a chain-breaking antioxidant, i.e. it is able to repair oxidizing radicals directly, preventing the chain propagation step during lipid autoxidation.’
- ‘Many fatty foods are susceptible to autoxidation, involving the oxidation of lipid molecules to produce malodorous ketones, alcohols and acids that adversely affect the texture, flavour and taste of food.’
- ‘In the absence of melanin, the ascorbic acid undergoes metal-catalyzed autoxidation.’
- ‘It can also be formed by oxidative deoxyribose breakdown or autoxidation of sugars, such as glucose, and it plays a role in the pathophysiology of diabetes and ageing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.