Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device or facility for tuning something automatically, especially a computer program which enables the correction of an out-of-tune vocal performance.
- ‘She embodies what is wrong with TV and the music industry - not a shred of talent required with reality tv and auto-tune.’
- ‘There's no auto-tune crooning or overbearing electronica background music.’
- ‘Ever since she burst onto the music scene, she has been criticized for frequent use of auto-tune on recordings.’
- ‘Turn on the radio and without turning the dial you find one-hit wonders, wanna-be gangsters, lying fools, and most importantly autotune.’
- ‘The singer went on to explain that he should use auto-tune to "catch mistakes" before they happen.’
- ‘However, he's a fan of Kanye's 2008 album, which made heavy use of auto-tune.’
- ‘Basically, the idea is you take real news and real newsmakers, and you put them through an auto tune.’
- ‘The fake sky went dark and he sang in a numb and dire auto-tune tenor.’
- ‘Sonically, the song is great, but for Brown to constantly drown his voice in auto-tune is getting annoying.’
- ‘It's hard to believe, in this day of auto-tune, that people are still acting surprised by her lip-syncing.’
1 Tune (something) automatically.‘there's also an FM radio which can autotune stations and has a ‘record’ option’
- ‘A kid should be taught how to auto-tune channels on the set.’
- ‘You can autotune up to 10 programmes at a time.’
- ‘DRM technology is more or less like "a smart radio" that auto-tunes itself during emergency and natural disasters.’
- ‘However when I autotune the TV it only picks up the standard 5 terrestrial channels.’
- ‘Once your TV stops receiving signal from your current networks, head into your menu and start auto-tuning.’
- ‘Also new in the latest update: a new channel info bar, and a setting to let you auto-tune to HD channels!’
- ‘Switch the box to "game" when you're using it, switch to the TV/Cable input manually, and don't let your TV try to autotune its way to a signal.’
- ‘It's like a roadtrip to hell where the radio autotunes to whatever's heaviest.’
- 1.1Alter the pitch of (a voice recording) by means of a computer program.‘vocals are often autotuned to fake perfection’‘Cher is the woman that many credit for bringing autotuned vocals into mainstream music’
- ‘She's a fantastic singer (real pop music, instead of overly autotuned garbage!)’
- ‘While we may cringe at the autotuned quality of her voice, we can't help but agree with the lyrics.’
- ‘She looks great but whoa..they really overdid it with the auto-tuning.’
- ‘She sounds so good she almost sounds autotuned.’
- ‘The album is a bombardment of autotuned vocals with loud drums and techno beats.’
- ‘The Gregory Brothers have become Internet famous for auto-tuning the news.’
- ‘Maybe I will sing with them but you would have to auto-tune me!’
- ‘Her energetic stage presence made the songs work, and those falsetto notes needed no auto-tuning.’
- ‘His acting sucks and his music is so auto-tuned a monkey could sing it.’
- ‘The only music available was the lute and your natural voice, so that ruled out autotuned pop stars.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.