Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Physiologically, plant conversion or seedling development involves a transition from the heterotrophic embryo to an autotrophic plant.’
- ‘Moreover, growth rate was deeply reduced during heterotrophic and autotrophic development.’
- ‘These differences correlate with differentiated function as heterotrophic, autotrophic and transport pathway components of the leaf.’
- ‘Plants are sessile, autotrophic, and grow in an indeterminate and modular manner.’
- ‘Recently there has been discussion about the metabolic state of the ocean, with arguments questioning whether the open ocean is net autotrophic or net heterotrophic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.