Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Italian motorway.
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘Within minutes they were on the autostrada heading for Siena.’
- ‘The increased limit will apply on autostrada with three lanes in each direction and the latest barriers to prevent vehicles from leaving each carriageway.’
- ‘He is racing down the autostrada just outside Rimini with two Italian secret service men tailing him.’
- ‘Out in the hills beyond the Eternal City, the car was delightful to drive, coping competently with small country roads and fast autostrada alike.’
- ‘A long test drive in Italy confirmed the new model's all-round competence both on autostrada and twisty country roads.’
1920s: from Italian, from auto automobile + strada road.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.