Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Italian motorway.
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘Within minutes they were on the autostrada heading for Siena.’
- ‘The increased limit will apply on autostrada with three lanes in each direction and the latest barriers to prevent vehicles from leaving each carriageway.’
- ‘Out in the hills beyond the Eternal City, the car was delightful to drive, coping competently with small country roads and fast autostrada alike.’
- ‘A long test drive in Italy confirmed the new model's all-round competence both on autostrada and twisty country roads.’
- ‘He is racing down the autostrada just outside Rimini with two Italian secret service men tailing him.’
1920s: from Italian, from auto automobile + strada road.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.