One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Italian motorway.
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘He is racing down the autostrada just outside Rimini with two Italian secret service men tailing him.’
- ‘A long test drive in Italy confirmed the new model's all-round competence both on autostrada and twisty country roads.’
- ‘Within minutes they were on the autostrada heading for Siena.’
- ‘Out in the hills beyond the Eternal City, the car was delightful to drive, coping competently with small country roads and fast autostrada alike.’
- ‘The increased limit will apply on autostrada with three lanes in each direction and the latest barriers to prevent vehicles from leaving each carriageway.’
1920s: from Italian, from auto ‘automobile’ + strada ‘road’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.