Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any chromosome that is not a sex chromosome.
- ‘The fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster has two sex chromosomes and three autosomes.’
- ‘The chromosomal complement of each cell is divided into the autosomes and the sex chromosomes.’
- ‘The results are attributed to introgression with a higher rate for autosomes than for sex chromosomes.’
- ‘The sex chromosomes and autosomes spend different times in the germ line of the two sexes.’
- ‘Next we asked whether sex chromosomes and autosomes contribute equally to the patterns of inheritance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.