Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of the nervous system responsible for control of the bodily functions not consciously directed, such as breathing, the heartbeat, and digestive processes.
- ‘These small muscles in the blood vessels are controlled by the autonomic nervous system.’
- ‘Alterations in emotional expressivity are associated strongly with the autonomic nervous system.’
- ‘It works by monitoring the body's feedback and controlling the autonomic nervous system, which regulates involuntary bodily functions such as heart rate, sweating, and breathing.’
- ‘The hormones of the HPA axis exert their effect on the autonomic nervous system, which controls such vital functions as heart rate, blood pressure, and digestion.’
- ‘The body's regulatory processes are controlled by a system known as the autonomic nervous system.’
- ‘The sympathetic nerves control circulation and perspiration and are part of your autonomic nervous system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.