One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Involuntary or unconscious; relating to the autonomic nervous system.‘the symptoms included gastrointestinal and autonomic disturbance’
self-governing, self-legislating, self-determining, sovereign, autonomous, autarkic, free, non-alignedView synonyms
- ‘The primary types of diabetic neuropathy are sensorimotor and autonomic.’
- ‘If cluster headache is an autonomic disorder, biofeedback may be valuable.’
- ‘The composition of saliva thus varies with the balance of activity in the autonomic nerves controlling salivary secretion.’
- ‘Moreover, prolonged periods of nausea may be erroneously attributed to gastric autonomic neuropathy, leading to unnecessary investigation and treatment.’
- ‘The sympathetic nerves control circulation and perspiration and are part of your autonomic nervous system.’
- ‘For example, stress has been shown to affect major physiological systems - autonomic, neuroendocrine, and immune.’
- ‘Wheelchair athletes with spinal cord injuries may also have hypertension because of loss of autonomic control of blood pressure.’
- ‘Improvements in autonomic and peripheral neuropathy have been documented.’
Mid 19th century (in the sense ‘self-governing’): from autonomy + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.