Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A feature of certain amplifier circuits which gives a constant output over a wide range of input levels.
- ‘The devices have to have an automatic gain control circuit to work with this, but no special software or an operating system.’
- ‘The microphone did not have automatic gain control.’
- ‘One full spectrum was recorded followed by 3 MS / MS spectra on the LTQ instrument, automatic gain control was applied and the collision energy was set to the arbitrary value of 35.’
- ‘Other features include automatic gain control, silence suppression and encryption.’
- ‘Images were collected without automatic gain control in order to preserve the relative intensity of different animals' fluorescence.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.