One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in relation to the operation of a computer process) automatically and in a way that seems ingenious, inexplicable, or magical.‘just type in the name of what you want to listen to, and it automagically appears on your computer’
- ‘It behaves well when you are interrupted by phone calls and saves your current position automagically.’
- ‘But I think the difference here is that the ads are insinuated into the content automagically, and the authors are not being paid to make the comments.’
- ‘Ubuntu downloaded it, installed it and added it to the menu automagically.’
- ‘If your web site or blog has an RSS feed, you can use it to automagically make a Mobile Magazine.’
- ‘In other words, you can subscribe to audio from a site that offers it and have it automagically downloaded to your MP3 player.’
- ‘A microwave would be useful right now, so I could discover whether heated veggie juice automagically turns into soup.’
- ‘Some stuff will automagically appear in this space as we immerse in the real world without a blogging distraction.’
- ‘Software updates and new applications are added automagically.’
- ‘See, the scanner automagically scans at large scale and high res.’
- ‘Just type in the name of what you want to listen to, and it automagically appears on your computer seconds later.’
- ‘It would be even better if you used the proper CSS technique that does it automagically!’
- ‘Then the workflow engine will automagically distill the software support for that process.’
- ‘It automagically sucks down up-to-date text versions of all your favourite web sites to read off line.’
- ‘I'm thinking the timeout scheme is too annoying unless my software repository automagically releases code after the timeout period.’
- ‘Upon insertion, the disc is "automagically" drawn into the case, thanks to the slot-in mechanism.’
- ‘Magazines and newspaper get delivered automagically and many of the New York Times Best Sellers are available for download.’
- ‘And the wireless connection, after the machine goes to sleep and wakes up, re-establishes itself automagically.’
- ‘When you return home the movie automagically downloads into your Mac (or PC) where it can be streamed to your TV via iTV.’
- ‘The whole point of the full-time writing is that if I manage to do some then I'm automagically organised and productive, right?’
- ‘Click on that and you are automagically subscribed to the feed of your choice.’
1940s: blend of automatically and magically.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.