One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The destruction of cells or tissues by their own enzymes, especially those released by lysosomes.
- ‘Specimens from living patients vastly outnumber autopsy specimens, and the absence of autolysis makes tissue from living people technically preferable for most purposes.’
- ‘A common problem for pathologists examining hysterectomy specimens is finding pronounced tissue autolysis.’
- ‘Ultrastructural examination failed to detect viral inclusions, although the tissue exhibited a sizable degree of postmortem autolysis.’
- ‘Histologic examination of the colon did not show blue discoloration or abnormalities, with the exception of moderate autolysis.’
- ‘Because our cases were autopsy cases, autolysis may have resulted in a decrease of positive staining cells.’
- ‘Many dressings are designed to promote autolysis.’
- ‘It is well known that autolysis alters the molecular structure and thereby the antigenicity of tissues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.