One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Writing done with one's own hand.
- ‘Then again, we may have no license to read the work any way but abstractly, so heavy in paint and autography is it.’
2The facsimile reproduction of writing or illustration.
3count noun An autobiography.
- ‘It also covers autographies of the late Chinese leaders of the older generation.’
- ‘Included were 74 paintings, eleven drawings and etchings, nine autographies and several personal souvenirs.’
- ‘This is the oldest collection at the University, and houses over 100,000 manuscripts and autographies spanning time from the 8th century to the present.’
- ‘They should try and bequeath us their memoirs, autographies or a collection of their speeches to enable us benefit from their experience, knowledge and wisdom to serve as a guide to the present and future generations.’
- ‘She, on the other hand, preferred biographies and autographies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.