Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Self-fertilization, especially the self pollination of a flower.Compare with allogamy
- ‘Both species use a mixed breeding system, consisting of xenogamy, geitonogamy, and autogamy.’
- ‘In this study, I use floral manipulations in conjunction with marker gene analysis to estimate the relative contributions of autogamy and geitonogamy to self fertilization.’
- ‘Recipients were cells from young clones only four to six fissions after the last autogamy.’
- ‘Recently several populations and species of Antirrhinum were characterized for their percentage of autogamy and self-fertility, and large variation was observed.’
- ‘In both years seed set was significantly lower in the autonomous autogamy treatment than in the corresponding controls.’
- ‘Changes in floral morphology are normally required to promote either autogamy or allogamy.’
- ‘Together, the three modes of geitonogamy make a much larger contribution to self-fertilization than autogamy.’
Late 19th century: from auto- ‘self’ + Greek -gamia (from gamos marriage).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.