Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Like tomato and pepper, eggplant is an autogamous diploid with 12 chromosomes.’
- ‘Consequently, an increase in autogamous self-pollination may be achieved with little reduction of outcrossed male fitness.’
- ‘I estimated the amount of autogamous pollination by comparing the stigmatic pollen loads of intact and emasculated flowers.’
- ‘Wild barley is a predominantly autogamous annual grass.’
- ‘Unlike maize, rice is predominantly autogamous and, hence, gene flow is restricted.’
- ‘The success of hybrid maize has produced interest in developing hybrids in autogamous crops.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.