(of a modem) automatically dial a telephone number or establish a connection with a computer.
- ‘She flipped open her PA and looked up ‘Vermont’, then ‘government’, then ‘legal departments’, then ‘Attorney General’, then autodialed the number.’
- ‘Sabrina hit the FLASH key and then autodialed Chris' cellphone.’
- ‘When the companies announced their merger, the nation's media reporters autodialed the usual critics of media conglomeration.’
- ‘However, what it doesn't do is put a 1 in front of long distance numbers, so when you autodial the number all you get is a helpful phone company recording that says, ‘We're sorry, you must first dial a 1 when calling this number.’’
- ‘The Address Agent features autodialing of phone numbers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.