Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a modem) automatically dial a telephone number or establish a connection with a computer.
- ‘However, what it doesn't do is put a 1 in front of long distance numbers, so when you autodial the number all you get is a helpful phone company recording that says, ‘We're sorry, you must first dial a 1 when calling this number.’’
- ‘The Address Agent features autodialing of phone numbers.’
- ‘When the companies announced their merger, the nation's media reporters autodialed the usual critics of media conglomeration.’
- ‘Sabrina hit the FLASH key and then autodialed Chris' cellphone.’
- ‘She flipped open her PA and looked up ‘Vermont’, then ‘government’, then ‘legal departments’, then ‘Attorney General’, then autodialed the number.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.